Monday, December 21, 2009

Rocky Raccoon...


Now somewhere in the black mining hills of Dakota
There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
And one day his woman ran off with another guy
Hit young Rocky in the eye Rocky didn't like that
He said I'm gonna get that boy
So one day he walked into town
Booked himself a room in the local saloon.

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
Only to find Gideon's bible
Rocky had come equipped with a gun
To shoot off the legs of his rival
His rival it seems had broken his dreams
By stealing the girl of his fancy.
Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil
But everyone knew her as Nancy.
Now she and her man who called himself Dan
Were in the next room at the hoedown
Rocky burst in and grinning a grin
He said Danny boy this is a showdown
But Daniel was hot-he drew first and shot
And Rocky collapsed in the corner.

The doctor came in stinking of gin
And proceeded to lie on the table
He said Rocky you met your match
And Rocky said, Doc it's only a scratch
And I'll be better I'll be better doc as soon as I am able.

Now Rocky Raccoon he fell back in his room
Only to find Gideon's bible
A Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt
To help with good Rocky's revival.


My favorite Beatles song... inspired the name of my little Rocky nearly 3 years ago. When my mom and I went to pick Rocky out from the petstore, he was the tiniest little guy there and all the larger ferrets wouldn't let poor Rocky get to the food dish. How could I resist? I took my little runt home... its sad to think that the first days I spent with Rocky were very much like his last... Rocky was so tiny and frail when he first set foot into the Beretsky family... I would constantly check on the little tyke to make sure he was still breathing. Rocky had a great life. He had many ferret friends, and adventures. I never met an animal or a person who didn't love Rocky and who Rocky didn't love in return... except that time he tried to eat my hamster dizzy lizzy. Rocky spent most of his life in Kutztown in my smelly cruddy little Cliff's house, he also stayed with Emily, the Beretsky and finally, 9 Clayton ave. Rocky had frequent visitors and long-time friends... a kitty named pounce, a pitbull named Roxy, a boxer name Cleo, his uncle Bear the collie, Riki, Rosco, Andre, Cody, Pippin, Daisy, Gus-gus, Sushi, Gus and Princess, his ferret friends... Unfortunately, Rocky came down with an unknown condition which caused him to become severely anemic... dispite mommy and daddy's efforts Rocky passed away early yesterday morning in his sleep. I am absolutely devestated. Rocky and I were two peas in a pod... he went everywhere with me... Punkin' Chunkin' contests, the SUB, Weis, Geology Club, the green house, the eco plot... my fovrite memory of Rocky is when the ice-storm hit Kutztown a few years back... Rocky and Riki were at 600S with me and they had the opportunity to go "sledding" down the front yard. What a site to see these two... sliding down the ice, they loved every second of it.

Rocky was your typical ferret... he liked to eat kitten food and puppy food, hoard pizza crust, makes nests out of random paper products lying around the house, steal socks, chew on my crocs, crawl in my drawers, climb his cage, scale the screens on the windows, chase the vacuum cleaner, give ferret kisses, play with pitbulls, chase hamsters, dig in the dirt, poop in front of doors, hide in the closet, eat kellie's birthday gag-gift (a large rubber dildo)... Rocky was always up to something... His favorite place was under my sweatshirt or in my coat pocket, cleverly named the Rocket Pocket. There are so many memories I have of the little guy... He was my best friend during a part of my life where I was struggling with relationships, taking on too much responsibility, spreading myself too thin, graduting college, moving across the country, moving back, finding the love of my life, buying a house, and getting engaged. There's nothing that could cheer me up when I was at my lowest like an arm full of ferrets. He was more than a stinky weasel he was a companion I will never forget. Perhaps Rocky had been sick all along... it seems as though as soon as he knew I had a good man to take care of me he no longer had to protect me, and he gave up fighting... One week after Michael and I got engaged one of the saddest days in my life occurred. There's a theory that when good things happen, bad things follow and vice versa, maybe it was just the vicious circle that is life. I don't think I've ever cried so much as I did yesterday. Its hard to lose anything, a pet, a loved one... but I have never lost anything that was in my care. Rocky's life was in my hands and there was nothing I could do to help. I was powerless and that's what hurts the most. Some people have said that "well, he's just a ferret"... well, a lot has changed in my life since Rocky first appeared... he was the only constant thing I had to hold on to for over 2 years. He was, my Rock. No matter how bad things got, Rocky was always there. I wish there was a way to thank him... but I think he understood. Rocky was always good at licking away my tears and getting me out of bed by attempting to drag important items under my dresser, or knocking over glasses of water... We all miss you Rocky.. your brother and sister especially. They've been looking for you and you are no where to be found. They're lost without you... you're the one who taught them all the good hiding places, and that when you stand up on your hind legs mommy gives you a treat.

I fear I didn't do enough and at the same time I fear I did too much... I tried as hard as I could to keep the little guy alive, did I prolong his suffering? There are a million questions I can ask myself and none of them make me feel any better... When summer comes I hope to plant a tree in Rocky's name where we laid him to rest on Sunday... perhaps a Ginko tree, so we will never forget...

Rest in peace baby boy... you are very loved. I'm sure there are plenty of pens, toothbrushes, pizza crusts, styrofoam plates, socks, notebooks, hair brushes, jingley balls, and anything else your little heart desires up in ferret heaven. Thank you for being part of my life and always making me smile. You truly are a little ferret angel. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment